Welcome to The Bateman’s Mill Hotel and Restaurant
A warm and friendly welcome awaits you at this award winning hotel & restaurant on the edge of the Peak District. Situated in a quiet rural area, this 18th Century converted mill is an ideal location for visiting the Peak Park & Derbyshire District. In easy travelling distance to many Peak Park attractions including Chatsworth Estate, Haddon & Hardwick Hall, Bakewell, Boslover Castle and the historic market town of Chesterfield making this hotel the ideal gateway to the Peak District.
The Batemans Mill Hotel boasts a ground floor bar & eating area, lounge area, restaurant, conference & meeting facilities and 8 individually decorated bedrooms. The hotel also offers ample parking for our guests with nearby road, rail and airport links. With Tourist Board recognition for walkers and cyclists the Batemans Mill provides a great base for exploring the area, families are welcome with lots of suitable activities in close proximity of the Hotel.
Derbyshire & the Peak District
This beautiful part of the country offers much for the visitor with many of the areas leading attractions in easy travelling distance. For walkers and cyclists there a literally hundreds of routes, with water sports, sailing, horse riding and golfing on offer. Nearby attractions include the Chatsworth estate, Haddon & Hardwick Hall, Renishaw Hall, Carsington water, Ladybower reservoir, Bakewell, Matlock, Chesterfield and Buxton. Shopping outlets are located in Bakewell, Matlock and Meadow Hall.
History of the Bateman’s Mill Hotel
Originally called the Wood Thorpe Mill, the mill was built in 1831 as a working corn/flour mill processing corn for the local community up to the 1930’s. The Bateman family took over the tenancy in the 1880’s but later sold the mill to a buyer outside of the family sometime after. Just after the 2nd World War the mill was again purchased back by the Bateman family under Mr Samuel Henry Bateman. At this point in time the mill was derelict and Samuel took it upon himself to integrate the out buildings of the mill using all the space for agricultural use until the early 1960’s. Just to set an image in your mind of this period in time, the bar and lounge area was used as a motorbike repair shed. The history of the mill is fairly vague for a short period between the 1960’s up to the early 1990’s where Mr Alan Bateman then sought planning permission for a hotel. The hotel then opened on the 27th November 1991 and given the history of the building the name was obvious and so was born the Bateman’s Mill Hotel.